My Newest Project

by Meg Cotner on March 19, 2012

So, I’m writing a book. And here’s the cover!

A month or so ago, I was approached by a mid-sized publisher to write a book about the food of Queens, where I live. It’s in guidebook format, so it will be a great way for locals and visitors alike to get to know the restaurant scene, specialty shops, artisanal food production, and more in the borough of Queens. There aren’t too many print publications like this when it comes to Queens, so I’m happy and honored to be working on this project.

I’ve been enjoying the writing immensely, and tasting all sorts of dishes from various cultures has been just fantastic. Queens has a lot of immigrants who bring their traditional food practices with them, which is a total bonus for someone like me that is interested in traditional foods from cultures other than my own.

Some of my favorite recent dishes came from Nepali restaurants – at the last one I was at there was a spicy potato dish called achar, which was flavored with fenugreek greens, sesame seeds, and lemon juice, and spices. It is simply amazing and I want to learn how to make it myself. I also recently discovered braso, a Filipino dessert consisting of  a sweet egg custard sandwiched between two thick layers of soft yet sturdy meringue. Just so good.

I’ve also enjoyed gathering with friends and sharing meals with them. It feels great to be able to share this experience with them, and I am so grateful for the time they are giving me.

I am sure I will write more about and certainly mention this project over the next few months. I look forward to sharing more news about the project as it progresses, too!

Erin Smith March 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

This is great news. Congratulations Meg!

Meg March 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thanks, Erin! I am having such a good time with this project! I love learning the process when it comes to a print publication, after my 16 years doing online publishing. I can’t wait to get the book in my hands!

Jane March 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

That is awesome! Congratulations!

Stefan March 20, 2012 at 7:24 am

Meg, that’s really awesome, congratulations on the book deal! And the cover looks great!

Meg March 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

Stefan, thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I love the cover, too! It’s orange, which I hope will make people hungry. :)

Judith March 21, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Even though I’ve told you in person, I want to say it virtually too…you rock and this book will be awesome! So happy for you.

Meg March 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thank you so much, Judith! I can’t wait to show you the book! Thank you for accompanying me on some of these eating adventures, too.

Dayna Gonzalez March 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Wow, this is so wonderful, Meg! How much fun must this be? Exploring all culinary Queens has to offer? It’s awesome! Best wishes! And I’m totally down to help you try new places – my stomach is so jealous right now :D

All the best,
Dayna

Meg March 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

Thank you, Dayna! It’s a lot of fun. I would love some company while I’m in Jackson Heights (I still need to make a few trips out there). I’ll email you – thanks!

Kellie April 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back later on. I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice weekend!

Born27 April 25, 2012 at 3:40 am

I love cooking, and I really want to learn. So I hope. I could have a copy of your book. Good luck. :)

Heidi19 April 30, 2012 at 12:33 am

Congrats Meg! i love how you choose the cover and i’m so excited to grab a copy of this book. Thanks for sharing and i’m looking forward to read more from you.

Vantage Properties May 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Congratulations on the book! We’re definitely looking forward to taking a look through your eyes at eating in Queens! We definitely enjoy reading about Queens cuisine right here.

Madeline July 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Incredible pictures Meg. Looking forward to the book coming out, and reading more happenings on Harmonious Belly.