Lacto Fermented Ginger Carrots

by Meg Cotner on March 28, 2011

Lacto fermented ginger carrots is one of my favorite ferments.  It’s got the sweetness of the carrots, the piquant nature of the ginger, and the tanginess that comes with fermented foods.  Plus all that extra vitamin C and probiotics from the fermentation process.

The jar of ginger carrots in the photo was made during a fermentation workshop I taught a couple of weeks ago.  I decided on ginger carrots because they are easy to make and get one’s head around – a few simple ingredients, easy to mix, and easy to get a brine out of it. It was fun to prepare them as a group, too, with everyone contributing to the grating and mincing. And I learned how to peel ginger with a spoon!  It’s freakishly effective.

I enjoy ginger carrots on lots of things, from eggs, to roast salmon, and it’s a nice snack all by itself. It also goes great in a bean salad, the recipe for which I’ll share soon

The process is very simple – mix everything together and let it sit and ferment.  The ferment shown in the picture above – which was made during the fermentation workshop I taught a few weeks ago – took about 6 days to get to my liking. It continues to get better and better as it ages, too.

Marija March 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for the salt tip especially. I did not realize this and I think I’ve been using celtic sea salt in all my stuff I have tried so far. I’m glad I now have a use for all the Kosher salt in my cabinet that I thought was not useful.

Meg March 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Sounds like you’ve been lucky, which is great! I’ve been using a refined sea salt (sans iodine) lately, which has worked well.

Jaime October 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I am loving your website! I am fairly new to fermenting foods, and was wondering if I could replace the whey with apple cider vinegar, in this recipe? If not, do you have any other suggestions for substitues? Thanks for your time!!

Meg October 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Thanks, Jaime! I’m glad you like the site! As for the vinegar over whey, I would not recommend it. Lacto-fermentation involved lactic acid to encourage fermentation and anti-spoilage. Vinegar is acetic acid, and preserves food very differently. Often people use extra salt in place of the whey.

This is a good reference page for this very issue:

Jessica February 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Hi! New to the preserves world, so I was wondering if I could use a jar with a regular screw-top lid or if I had to boil the whole thing in a pot of water using like a Ball lid seal set-up. I imagine the latter method will preserve things longer but that a regular lid will do the job for a short while? Thanks for your advice!

Meg February 16, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hi Jessica – for lacto-fermentation, a jar with a regular screw top lid is just fine – a two piece Ball jar lid is what I have used in the past. I also have some special lids with airlocks, but they are not absolutely necessary. One thing you dont want to do with lacto-fermented foods is put them through a water bath, like you would for a conventional jam, pickle, or tomato sauce. That will essentially cook out all the beneficial bacteria and essentially a dead food.

If you are making regular preserves, though, putting them through a water bath is fine. I do that with my jams, crushed tomatoes, and dilly bean pickles.

You can also make freezer jam, which is preserved in the freezer and is not shelf-stable. Or just store it in the fridge, if you think you are going to eat the preserves up right away.

Jessica February 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for your help!

Leona February 27, 2012 at 12:22 am

Hello, I tried your ginger carrot recipe, following each detail to a T. I used organic carrots and ginger. When I packed it into the jar I made sure the carrots were a good inch from the top and there was plenty of natural juice the carrots were releasing covering them. I screwed the lid on firm, but not like He-Man or anything. I released the pressure in the jar a few times over the 3 days it sat on my kitchen counter, because there was quite a bit of it. The temp in my house varies between 69-72 degrees. I opened up the jar today and the carrots were soooo slimy, and they had miraculously increased in volume. They were pushed up to the very top of the lid. They smelled ok, but kind of vinegary. Can you shed any light on what may have gone wrong in my process? I know I used the right kind of salt… What causes a ferment to get slimy?

I should note that I also made a batch of fermented kimchi and a batch of beets and both seem great. No slime, no off smell. I’ve put both into the fridge now because I believe their time on the counter is done. Is there some special care the grated carrots require?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Leona

Meg February 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Hi Leona – it sounds like some bad bacteria found its way into your ferment. It happens sometimes. Carrots have a lot of sugar in them and can attract less desirable bacteria sometimes. Are you working with any other ferments in close proximity to the carrots? Or sourdough starter? Wild yeasts might have found their way into your carrots, too.

Leona February 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm

The kimchi and carrots were right next to each other on the counter. Could that have been the problem? Or is it that I was burping the jar? I was afraid too much pressure would build up. I do want to try them again because they sound like a tasty ferment!
Leona

Christene March 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

Leona,
I read that whey can sometimes make lacto-ferments like carrots or kraut, slimey.

kristyreal March 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I just wanted to add that I make tons of ferments of every variety and I no longer make these ginger carrots because of the slime issue. I think I’m pretty good at making ferments at this point, but my failure rate with this particular combination of shredded carrots and ginger is about 50/50. That’s unacceptably high so I’ve switched over to brined carrot and ginger sticks. It has the same flavor but a crunchy texture that we like just fine. So far, I’ve never had an issue with the veggie sticks in brine method so I think I’ll stick to it. I would love to figure out the reason my shredded carrots get slimy sometimes because I do love a shredded “relish” type of ferment, but until I do I’ll just keep on chopping carrots and ginger into sticks or slices and fermenting them in a homemade salt brine. Plus, it gives me the added bonus of the brine to drink when the veggies are gone – it’s good for you, too. BTW, garlic and carrots is another of our favorite combos…..